This week has been a whirlwind of doctor’s visits. My parents are in town, my mom since Saturday and my dad just since this afternoon. I try to schedule appointments when my mom is around to help me out. On Tuesday, we had a check-up at the International Adoption Clinic, in KC, about an hour away. I really thought I scheduled it for 9:45, but it turns out it was at 9… meaning we had to leave the house at 7:45… yuck! On the way home from that, I got a call from the school district’s audiologist. They have two audiologists and when they talked about Lena and took into consideration her trouble with articulation and my concerns, they decided I should have her hearing checked sooner. She recommended we go to the KU Med Center, our other option being back to Children’s Mercy (where we had been just minutes before). She said she was certain that KU Med Center had the equipment best for testing Lena. I wasn’t sure if we’d need a referral and Lena needed some vaccinations, so right after I got off the phone with the audiologist, I called a well-recommended pediatrician’s office, to see if we could schedule an appointment. They had one, today at 8:45. Awesome, that meant my mom could watch Ilya and I could go with just Lena. So, we had that this morning. As soon as we got home from that appointment, I called the audiology clinic at KU Med and they’d JUST had a cancellation for an appointment… tomorrow. So, tomorrow, we will be heading back over to Kansas City, to find out the extent of Lena’s hearing loss. Lots of doctors visits. I still need to take Ilya to the pediatrician sometime and they both need to go to the dentist. The doctor said she will probably need a lot of work… I had noticed what looked like a cavity, so I am not surprised.
I was really lax on doctor’s appointments for the first few months. I just wanted to make sure that the kids weren’t constantly being thrust into uncomfortable, stressful situations. They both seem to bounce back from scary situations much better now and respond to being comforted, so I am comfortable with it.
In exciting news, after our evaluation last week, I called the school district about Pre-K and was told that Aaron makes too much to qualify the kids for Pre-K through them. Well, the doctor told me that both of them should qualify for developmental Pre-K. I am so glad. I was looking at private preschools and while I think that Ilya would really benefit from going to preschool, we weren’t sure how we’d manage the large additional cost. I’d love to send Lena to preschool too and I might consider if she is eligible and would not be in Ilya’s class. Otherwise, I’d probably just wait until the following year.
I’ll keep you all updated on Lena’s visit tomorrow. I am not sure when I’ll get a chance to blog, as I think I’ll be busy the next couple of days. I’ll try to find some free time ASAP!